Monday, October 20, 2014

Free Choice Write Up

For the first free choice project of the year I wanted to chose an topic that close to home: neigh a topic that IS home. The ever elusive inspiration for this past project was myself, or should I say shades of myself, for that while I wanted to do self portraits I also wanted to create unique beings wrapped around the common place aura that is Sam Knepprath. In order to stretch my ideas to the max and push myself in terms of concept and craftsman ship, I started researching chilling  paintings of the past and was astounded at the amazing works of macabre art by one painter Ken Currie, specifically his piece The Gallowgate Lard. Within this interesting piece of work is a multitude of intricate shades of white and purples which gives the encompassing composition an alien yet commonplace feeling of facial recognition through its insane amount of detail. With this painting in mind, along with the abstract works of Pablo Picasso, I began to create my two dissociative self portraits. Through the process of the project I used a mirror and various light sources to capture the essence of the pieces I was inspired by. In the end, I am very proud of the pieces I created within the time span of three weeks for that they do somewhat look like me which is a achievement in itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment